Saturday, January 17, 2009

Our light

One Tiny Candle
Determined to defeat daunting darkness,
I feverishly tried to load it into buckets—
Carried, dumped, loaded again Until I collapsed, exhausted.

Darkness stood undiminished.
I wept in frustration,
Proven powerless, my task impossible.

A friend appeared
Holding one tiny candle, one flickering flame.
I gasped as that wee speck of light
dispelled darkness.

I threw my bucket far away and ran for candles.
My friend's candle lost no light by lighting mine.
We two passed our flames to candle after candle.

Each tiny flame ate hungrily, voraciously, big gulps of
darkness,
Replacing it with shimmering light.
This effort not exhausting, but joyful!
And I, a child of Light
Recognized at last my one true task. (Darla Isackson)

I thought that this was beautiful. We all have our difficulties and ups and downs in life. I think sometimes we are so busy shoveling out the darkness we forget how to expel darkness in our lives. It is His light that allows us to find light in our lives-- That is the purpose of the atonement of Jesus Christ. He knows and has experienced all that we face and only in His hands can we overcome.

1 comment:

Shalene said...

Since darkness is simply the absence of light, there is no amount of darkness that can keep even the smallest light from shining. I loved the poem. Thanks for sharing.