Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movies with the girls...

Yesterday I took Hannah and Ellie to see High School Musical 3 at the $1.50 movie in Rock Hill. I have only seen the first High School Musical, which I thought was cute and clean and the girls have seen it many times. I heard from a friend that High School Musical 3 was cute and fun also, so we went to see it. Overall, it was a really sweet movie for the girls and pretty cheesy in parts for me. I couldn't believe that there was a couple that looked to be in their 60's sitting behind us that came together with no children to see the movie. Not a date movie choice for me and I know Ashley would never agree to go to a movie like that for fun! I have to admit that I think Zac and Vanessa are a super cute couple... My only beef with the movie was that the girls showed a little too much skin-- the skirts were a little too short and I did see some cleavage. Otherwise I thought it was clean and fine for kids. My hesitation with movies and TV shows like this is how the stars portray themselves off screen. My children grow to idolize these characters-- Hannah wants to sing just like Gabriela when she grows up-- And when they change from harmless teenage heart throbs to another Hollywood star willing to do whatever it takes to make it to the top I grow wary of the message that this sends to my girls. I guess that is the way the world is today, but they are young and I want to keep that innocence and purity from the world as long as possible. We don't have cable so they have never seen Hannah Montana and Camp Rock, which I understand are also pretty clean, but I like that they are still little girls and haven't entered that teenage world. They do like Hannah Montana and always request Hannah Montana stuff. But, I don't like them to have Hannah Montana things because of all I hear in the media about her changing her persona from teenage pop Disney girl to Hollywood diva (sounds a lot like Brittany Spears to me). I am not sure that Vanessa Hudgens is much better after her naked phone pictures scandal. So, what is a mom to do... I guess I will keep being a hypocrite and let them enjoy High School Musical but not Hannah Montana. Any other comments from the mothers out there. What do you think? Do you have this same dilemma?

2 comments:

Shalene said...

I am annoyed with the commercialism of Hannah Montana and her empire. Have you ever listened to her lyrics?
She has a very talented team working for her and I think the songs send a great message. "Nobody's perfect. I gotta work it again and again til I get it right", "Underneath it all I'm just like you". We are Hannah Montana fans because she has a popular team working for her. She is very talented and confident. We haven't talked much about what she does in her personal life and I am a little scared about watching her start dating.
We also limit the amount of commercialized HM stuff Rebekah can have. She knows that she can not have a Hannah Montana room because it is too commercialized.

Shalene said...

she has a talented team working for her was what I meant to type.