skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Letting Go
I am learning as a parent that there is a lot that you just have to let go. That for me is really hard, because I like to be in control of a situation and I like my little girls to look pretty-- matching, hair done and all that. I have recently had to bite my tongue quite a bit and just let it go... Case in point-- yesterday Hannah decided I was no longer needed to help put her hair in a ponytail. I wish I had a picture of the different dos that she did, but I didn't have the camera and was feeding the baby. She finally did a small ponytail in the front like I do with her hair, but bumpy, uneven and frayed. The "natural mom" (or controlling, it has to be perfect mom) wanted to take it out re-brush the hair and make it look pretty, but I bit my tongue and let it be. Maybe if we were going to church I would have done it myself, but we were going to ride horses, so who cares--right?! The other thing that I have had to let go of with my girls is what they wear. I make sure even though they are young that they are dressed modestly (there is nothing worse than a little girl dressed like she was going to the Strip at Myrtle Beach around midnight during the summer), but most days (unless we are going somewhere special) I just let them wear what they want. Sometimes it is so funky, but I am learning that they are learning-- learning what looks good to them, what they like, learning independence and that they make good choices--even in clothing. And though it can sometimes be frustrating-- like when Ellie wants to wear a ratty old t-shirt to church and I have to veto it--I get better at saying, "that looks nice" through gritted teeth. But, I am finding that when they have confidence in their choices and that they are GOOD choices even in something as simple as what to wear, they make good (and better) choices in other aspects of their lives--But, still it sometimes makes me nuts to see what they wear! Maybe I can get some good pictures of some of their ensembles to post in the future...
5 comments:
Shannon - you know that you and I share views on this point, but it just doesn't make it easy does it. Yesterday we were going to the school fair. I washed and brushed Lucy's lovely blonde hair, then she got a bobble and proceeded to tie her hair back (by herself) and then she plonked a pink woolen hat on her head. I tried to sweetly say: 'wouldn't you like to wear your hair down today?' She confidently said, 'No I think this looks really pretty'. Oh my goodness!! Anyway, life went on and we all survived the spectable :o) But Oliver did put his foot down today to Lucy wearing her pj's when we went for a walk around the neighbourhood. Personally, that wouldn't have bothered me - perhaps I'm getting immune to my kids looking ridiculous, as we've been doing it for so long!!!
i remember when all ellie would wear was a swim suit. it was really cute.
Daddy outlawed swimsuits in the off summer months. He has also put his foot down about pajamas during the day. We were going through a lot of clothes-- too much laundry.
thanks for reminding us to have patience with our kids- once again!
cute background!
you are a good mom! i struggle with that all the time and I only have one girl. boys are way easier. They want me to pick out their clothes! ha
Post a Comment