skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Twilight-- the movie
As many of you know I am a Twilight fan (not so much a Breaking Dawn fan-- but that for another day), but did not want to see the movie. I did not want the Hollywood crowd to change my perception of Edward or of the love story that is Twilight in general. Ashley also read the books and kind of wanted to see the movie (although he will say it was only for my benefit), but I was pretty adamant in my refusal to see what others have deemed an awful flick. So, on Saturday evening he asked again if I wanted him to rent Twilight-- my response, "no." He goes to take Bolt back (girls LOVED it-- Riley cried for Bolt-- soooo cute) and comes back with Twilight trying to coerce me into watching it. I was kind of irked about him renting it even though I told him I didn't want to see it. And I am REALLY CHEAP, so spending a dollar to rent a movie we weren't going to watch really bothered me. AND, I caved and we watched Twilight. After all the reviews (from friends) we really didn't have very high expectations for the movie and when you go in with such low expectations it is not a horrible movie--not a good movie either-- but not horrible. The acting was not awful either... After watching the movie the bad part was when they combined the music and weird cinematography to make the movie seem like some kind of bad MTV music video within the movie. I guess, as Ashley pointed out, you have to consider the audience. When they just had normal acting and a normal storyline going on it was much better. The weird MTV scenes were just that-- weird MTV scenes. Edward (Robert Pattinson) did okay. He was brooding like Edward, but he never smiled and though Edward is a brooder he does have a sense of humor. I like Kristen Stewart's interpretation of Bella-- not so whiny! But, I hate that they messed up the meadow scene!! That is one of the best scenes in the book and it was a mess... Will I see it again? Nope! But, I will read the books again just like I read Harry Potter again and again, because it is always nice to curl up with some old friends. And my imagination always does a better recreation than Hollywood can. Your thoughts? I have many more(thoughts that is), but I really have to clean my house, get a nap and be a mom!
7 comments:
You are so fun Shannon! I liked the movie "okay" too. I love reading your posts!
Hey Shannon, I'm so glad you caved in and watched the film. I think we were fairly similar in our expectations of it. I had heard such bad things that my expectations were very low. I think some of the scenes that were supposed to be 'intense' just made me feel uncomfortable, or I wanted to laugh. But apart from that I was fairly entertained. I'm not sure I would watch the other films in the series, if they ever make them. I think I am happy to believe that Edward and Bella are in love and happy without any complications. I will be watching the film again on Tuesday and it will be my 3rd viewing. I'll probably enjoy the conversation afterwards as to what people think of the whole thing, more than the actual film itself.
I went to see it not long after it came out and all my friends had told me how it was better than they expected it to be. So it was worse than I expected it to be. I had the exact thoughts as you are about the overwhelming music in the background. It made it seem like they were trying to hard to be cool. And my main beef was with Edward - you are so right that Edward has a sense of humor. In the book they talk about how he can turn on his dazzling charm. Hello? Can we please see that Edward a little? Edward just seemed incredibly awkward for the first half of the movie - not attractive at all. I liked Kristen Stewart as well. My last problem with the movie was that they did a horrible job showing us WHY they fell in love. I know they have to cut things to make it all fit in a movie, but they could have worked in more ways of doing that so that when they professed their love it wasn't like "where did that come from?!"
I understand that they knew they had a group of people (very young people) who could go see it no matter how bad and cheesy it was so they probably didn't try as hard as they could have - I just think they could have done a much better job with the book material.
The main issue with this flick is that it was a low budget flick. They had little cash flow to work with.
So for the funds it was a decent movie. The characters slowly grew on me but I agree, about the meadow scene. That was probably one of the parts they ruined completely.
I think they should have expanded many more scenes, gave a little more depth. I went on opening night to watch the movie. I came away disappointed.
We just recently watched it and because my children had not watched it at the same time Bill and I had, WE had to watch it 3 times. I learned to like the movie a bit more, and it has sent me to re-reading the books once again. I PRAY they find a new producer. I hope they find a producer who actually READS or READ the books. I feel the same way, she missed her take on Edward and I thought they were spot on with Alice.
I did not care for the producers take. I mean did you watch the edited scenes??? Each edited scene that was deleted I was so glad they deleted it, but it was senseless and if it were left in it would have added nothing to the movie.
I wanted to say I am in The twilight zone again, Harry Potter mode zone again, re-reading President Hinckley's book Standing for Something! ( I love in the intro where he talks about America and what it once was and he GIVES the remedy to cure all the sickness, (meaning sins and trials of the country) LOVED it! and I'm reading Sister Hinckley's book again, and then a complete action pack by Robert Ludlum. (He writes all the Bourne Identity,Bourne Supremacy, Bourne Ultimatum books.
I can't just read one book at a time. I think these reads feed into my ADHD disorder. (self diagnosed)
Shannon! I love your blog! And I love Twilight! I enjoyed the books better the second time. You are so funny.... I thought the movie was good...but could have been better. We'll see what they do with New Moon.
oh you know I have to comment on this but I will make it quick. I saw it in the theatre at midnight, thought it was a joke, hilarious and terrible all at once. The worst movie ever, no, but still pretty bad for my FAVORITE BOOK! People told me to see it again, that is was better the second time. So we watched it a couple of weekends ago, not better! Sorry, nothing can make it better. I agree with your assesment of Rob playing Edward and he does the best in the last scene at prom. That is a glimpse of the real Edward, some humor, teasing, and charm.
Hope you and Macy are doing well. btw I've never heard of it as a boy name. We have a neice named Macy. I LOVE IT!
Post a Comment