Thursday, October 16, 2008

Back to Books

I have had it with politics recently. It is a little too stressful for me with pregnancy, job stuff and just thinking about the direction of our country and the world. I can't watch the debates because I get pretty steamed at both candidates-- I am not a fan of either's politics, though I agree more with McCain than Obama. So, I have been reading in the evenings instead of TV or much else. I like to go into my own little world and enjoy the lives of fictional people-- most of them are not worried about who will be president, what bills will pass, what new taxes we will have and what party will be the majority in the senate (it will probably be democrats across the board.)

About 2 months ago I began the Harry Potter series again from the beginning. I love Harry Potter world... I love that with each book J.K.Rowling becomes a better author. I love how she knew the end from the beginning and makes all the books work together. For example-- Aberforth (Dumbledore's strange and very opposite brother) is mentioned in passing in Book 3 or 4 (can't remember which) and then Harry and some friends go to the Boar's Head tavern (where he works) and meet him in Book 5 and then he is the surprise character with the blue eye (the same color as Dumbledore's) in Book 7. That is just one of the many examples of how she fits things together. I love Harry Potter! It has been thrilling to read again and this was my 5th time with book 4! The best part is that Ashley is rereading them with me, so we can compare and discuss what we like--it is great!

A couple of days ago I was reading a friend's blog who LOVES the Twilight series. She posted about Midnight Sun-- Twilight told from Edward's perspective. Apparently someone posted most of the draft she was working on online (really slimy thing to do). So, in response she decided to post what she had written on her website for her fans to read. I had read the first chapter of Midnight Sun and the world from Edward's view is much more interesting than from Bella's, so I began to read what she had posted from the book. I think it was her best work yet. Breaking Dawn was just okay for me. It seemed rushed at the end and I missed hearing from Edward, Alice, Carlisle and other characters. I also thought the end was a little too easy and happy, but Elizabethan novels tend to be that way and I love them, so I can cope. But, Midnight Sun was so interesting-- the internal battle of Edward-- he goes from predator to protector and from loathing Bella to loving her. I hope she finishes it, because I think it will be her best work yet. I love Edward's internal struggles and if you are an Edward fan, this book will make you love him even more. If any of you have good book recommends please let me know!

2 comments:

THE BROWN FAMILY said...

Love Harry Potter, I had a 'D' in math one year because I had started reading The Harry Potter books under my desk everyday.

myglorydays said...

I loved the Twilight series but found Bella frustating. I must have said "make up your darn mind girl" at least 100 times. Mark would laugh because I would say it out loud where ever I was when reading. I have not read Edward's point of view yet. He is my favorite character but I like to read in bed (insomnia) & I can not get the stupid thing to print. My laptop is not very comfy to lay in bed with. Maybe I will try to netbook as it is smaller.
I read a lot but have not found any good books lately. I will let you know if I find a decent one. Dare's friends recommend a lot of books.