Monday, June 16, 2008

Unfairness and the American Way

A couple days ago I made one of my regular trips to the neighborhood Harris Teeter to pick up a few things. I go to Harris Teeter all the time to get groceries because it is so close to my home, so I know many of the people that work there. When I was going through the line I asked the cashier where Skip was, because I had not seen him in a while. (Who is Skip? He is the greatest bagger in the history of Harris Teeter. But, back to that in just a second.) She then replied that Skip no longer worked there. After some poking around I found out that Skip had been fired for saying something that upset a customer a couple of weeks back. Why do you ask does any of this matter to you or me? Why am I so worried about what happens to a Harris Teeter bagger? Well, Skip is special. I first met Skip a couple years ago when he helped me to car with my groceries. Skip obviously had some mental challenges that I noticed from the first time I met him, but he was kind, friendly and polite. He always referred to me as ma'am and every time he saw me he would run to greet me and help me with my bags. Skip would speak very quickly and sometimes jumble his words together, but I worked really hard to understand what he was trying to say and we loved discussing religion and politics. It wasn't until several months after meeting Skip that I found out from a friend that worked there why Skip struggled. Skip is in his 40's and had worked many years in the military and had made it up to Top Secret clearance. Several years back he was given a shot that caused him some brain damage which affected his speech and ability to think and reason clearly. Skip has given his life to his country and he knew that the shot he had be given had taken many of his mental abilities. He spoke with me about it at times. He was so proud of the service that he gave in the military and to his country, but he also loved his job at Harris Teeter and was happy to serve and work. I am so saddened that whoever this woman was who complained didn't take the time to look closer at Skip. I know that businesses can't have employees that are liabilities, but I do think we need to be more loving and less judgemental of those around us. Our Savior is the greatest example of love... yes, he judged, but he judged on the heart-- something we can't always see. I called Harris Teeter yesterday to express my dismay over Skip leaving-- Maybe they will reconsider.

No comments: