Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ewwww debt

Unfortunately, despite having a new baby and being busy with 3 other small children I find time to keep up with current events. It is unfortunate because I am not crazy about many of the policies that our current administration is putting in place. I don't agree at all on any of President Obama's stances on social issues-- like the week after being put into office unfreezing funds for overseas abortions. BUT, something that concerns me even more is the current budget Congress is trying to pass and the effects it will have on our country. I was listening to the radio the other day and there was a gentleman speaking that is going to be putting together a Tax Tea Party in the Charlotte area (these "Tea Parties" are going on all over the country to draw attention to government spending-- supposedly like that of the Boston Tea Party). He has a son that will be born in a couple of months (so, basically the same age as Macy) and he had calculated that by the time this child will be 10 years old he will owe the government $77,000 in taxes. $77,000 in taxes before he starts middle school, drives a car, goes on a date, attends college, has a part time job or a full time job for that matter.

Here is Senator Gregg speaking on "State of the Union" (a show I have never heard of because I don't have cable tv) who declined the offer to work as Commerce Secretary under the current administration: "Your listeners have to understand how staggering the numbers are. We're talking about a deficit in the trillion-dollar range for as far as the eye can see. We're talking about deficits which are 4% to 5% of GDP - which is not sustainable under any form of government. We're talking about a public debt - this is a debt that people own of the federal government - that will be around 80% of GDP. Historically, it's been around 40% of GDP in the out years. The practical implication of this is bankruptcy for the United States. There's no other way around it."
Go to this link to listen to what he has to say...
http://townhall.com/blog/g/fa3afc68-d800-42d5-901a-bf85d1ac7cff.
This is a frightening time for our country and encourage ALL if they treasure their freedoms to write to their elected officials and ask that this oversized budget not pass. Do it for our children's sakes...

I find it interesting that in The Book of Mormon that the people considered themselves in bondage if they paid more than a 1/3 of their increase to others (kings, leaders or other nations) and most of the American middle class pay far more than that to our government and yet we cannot see the freedoms that we lose daily to our government.

Thanks for the rant! I always feel better getting these things off my chest. Now off to get ready for triples!

No comments: