Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I know that many people are not into politics in the way I am and I envy them in many ways. I sometimes wish I didn't know what I know, because it can be infuriating. But this issue is not blue or red-- it is something that all Americans need to speak up about, so that we can still have choice in our Healthcare. "The Stimulus" in it's current form allocates hundreds of millions (I can't find an exact dollar amount) for a health czar or a health board that will review all of OUR private medical records and decide if OUR doctors are spending what the government deems appropriate for OUR condition. A similar health board in the UK deemed that anyone suffering macular degeneration (slow loss of vision in the elderly) would have to lose vision in one eye before they could receive treatment for the other eye. After 3 years of protest the decision was finally overturned. The decisions of these boards are based on what is most cost effective, not what is best for the patient. The medicine that Ted Kennedy is currently receiving for his brain cancer to extend his life is currently not available in the UK (the model that we will be basing our board on), because it is not cost effective. Tell that to a father who wants a few more months with his children before he passes away. Here is a link to an article that can better explain the provisions within the bill:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_mccaughey&sid=aLzfDxfbwhzs

Please call your senator and congress person today and tell them that we want to better understand this bill before it is passed.

1 comment:

Karolyn said...

I agree--It's painful to have knowledge right now about where we are headed. Every day seems to be getting darker on the political spectrum. I feel like we are witnessing the end of freedom in so many ways. Hey, do you watch Glenn Beck?