Thursday, September 3, 2009

I've missed my time with you...

Life as a momma is a busy life. And I have been dedicating most of my time to my little ones, husband, church, work and coupons ;0) (I love coupons!) So, my blog has fallen by the side. But, I have written many wonderful blog posts in my mind! What I write about today is one of my many passions-- freedom. I believe that God intends us to be free. As we make good decisions and rely on Him and ourselves as His children we will retain the freedom that He has bestowed upon us. Bad decisions can and will bring bondage--spiritual, emotional, economic and sometimes physical. I continue to watch and participate in the battles that are being waged in Washington. I must admit that I feel like we are losing many of our freedoms bit by bit and not noticing it at all. Many things that are happening at the federal, local and state levels have upset me, but I think the straw that put me over the edge is President Obama's plan to speak to the the nation's children. You may ask-- what is the big deal? If he is just going to ask the kids to stay away from drugs, work hard in school and make good choices, I have no problem with him speaking to my child. But, why can't he do that during a prime time speech in my home where I can hear and talk to my children about what he is saying. My other question is about the lesson plans that he has devised to go with his speech. Here are some things that he asks the teachers to discuss with the students: What is the President trying to tell me?
What is the President asking me to do?
What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about? The teachers are also supposed to teach about President Obama by sharing some of his quotes from different speeches. The White House today has changed the lesson plans and I will have to look up what changes have occured, but I find the original version of this very disturbing. The Constitution does not give a President any right to address school children. As a matter of fact the Constitution does not set up government run schools-- that is left up to the states and local leaders. But, that is for another day!

No comments: