Monday, July 28, 2008

These are the Times...

I was reading a Magic Tree House book with Hannah about the revolutionary war-- it recounted the crossing of the Delaware with George Washington and his soldiers-- and it brought tears to my eyes... It quoted the words of Thomas Paine,
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the
sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of their country.
But he that stands it now deserves the love and thanks of man and woman...
The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph... What we obtain too
cheap, we esteem too lightly. It is dearness only that give everything its value.
I have such great faith in the principles upon which this country was founded. I believe that the writers of our Constitution and our Founding Fathers were good (on the whole) God fearing men that put their country and their desire for their children to enjoy freedom before their own security, prosperity and lives. I believe that we fight a different battle for freedom today-- political correctness, moral apathy and over-taxation are a few of our many battles. I always try to remember that freedom is a gift from our Heavenly Father as we use it wisely.

No comments: